Translator

Saturday, January 31, 2009

6 Picture Meme - I Was Tagged

I have been tagged by my talented friend Lyn Gaskill from CQI to participate in the 6 Picture Meme. This was a surprise to me because I haven't been blogging all that long and didn't realize she was enjoying my ramblings. The rules are that I have to go to the 6th file in my computer photos and print the 6th picture in that file on my blog. Then, I must tell you about it. Thank goodness it ended up to be a needlework pictures file and not a family file with bare baby bottoms or something, lol.

So, here is the picture. My little Blackwork Teddy Bear. He is about 4 1/2 inches tall. He was stitched in colored blackwork on Jobelyn, an even weave cotton blend fabric that I love working with. He was a 2 day class project that I began in 1990 through the Pikes Peak Chapter of EGA. The teacher/designer was Lee Brady. Some of the ladies in the class stitched their bears in black, some in DMC 3371 or 938, both dark browns. Many of us chose to work in DMC floss colors to achieve a more realistic look. The colors I chose were DMC 351, 433, 436, 501, and 503. Ms. Brady supplied us with the type of plastic eyes that are stuck through the fabric by making a hole with an awl and then snapped into place with a metallic brad. I did not want to ruin the fabric or stitching so I opted for shirt button eyes instead. I also added the small gold heart charm over his heart. The beads for the vest buttons (front and back) were in the original class kit.


>
I could not show you photo 6 without doing Teddy justice and showing you photo 7 - his backside. Lee Brady's pattern matched up perfectly on the sides to make this Teddy a complete success. He is stuffed with poly-fiber fill. I finished stitching him in just 3 days as I was very enthused with the technique - which was new to me at the time. It has become one of my 5 favorite stitching pastimes. I must confess though! I allowed him to "rest" in my UFO box for about 2 1/2 years because I would/could not sew him together on the machine! One day while I was rummaging in the box I found him again and cried for him. I lovingly picked up his flat little fabric pieces, carried him over to my BFF's house and she sewed him up for me. He and I did a happy dance all over her sewing room! He had suddenly come to life! Now he resides on top of the CQ baskets on my cedar chest with his big boy cousins - the CQ bears. Oh, and of course the frogs!

Thank you Lynn for making me relive this memory. Now I must tag 6 other unsuspecting souls whose blogs I follow closely. I choose to tag:

1. CONNIE W: My newest friend and partner in CQ stash building. On her fairly new blog she shares her lace dyeing experiences, her neat stash storage ideas and more. Check her colorful blog out at CWKalina.blogspot.com

2. Rose Anne B: Rose Anne is from Canada. I am attracted to her blog because of her humor, her sense of excitement and her enthusiasm for sharing. She is very creative with her needlework, as evidenced in her beautiful postcards. Go to Mycreativeworks.blogspot.com and see what I am talking about.

3. Kathy S: Kathy belongs to a couple of the on-line needlework groups that I do. She is sponsoring a stitch-along-with-me -- 12 Dozen Stitches in 12 Months. She has some wonderful CQ seam treatment ideas. A trip to www.Shawkl.com will inspire you.

4. Cathy K: I am a great fan of pansies and earth toned colors. I first became aware of Cathy's artistic talent when she worked on a pansy themed CQ RR and posted her pictures. Then she made the most beautiful Harvest Pillow and I have been a fan ever since. For great eye candy go to Cathyscrazybydesign.blogspot.com

5. Orinda: Her blog name - Orinda's Fancy says it all. She is a woman of many talents. I especially love her Dorsett Buttons. She has a way about her......and she expresses it through her fantastic embellishments! For a drooling good time go to Crazypiecesatlarge.blogspot.com and check it out.

6. Annie W: An Aussie, her blog is entitled Annie's Crazy World and she does very nice CQ work. I found her blog because I am an avid sampler fan and Annie has been stitching on a long band sampler for over a year now. She chronicals this adventure on her blog and shares her life and needlework in the process. How long is her band sampler? 22.5 feet! Go to www.loopylace.com/anniescrazyworld to find out the rest of the details.

I will go let these ladies know that they have been tagged. Then they will have to choose 6 others to tag, so watch out! It could be you.


No comments: